Contractor of the Year Awards
Our annual Contractor of the Year Awards were established in 1997 to foster a sense of pride and accomplishment among members and to increase public awareness of industry professionals. COTY Awards are granted to remodeling contractors based on how their submitted project enhanced the existing structure functionally and aesthetically, used superior craftsmanship and innovative materials or construction methods, overcame difficult obstacles, and delivered a project that met the client’s expressed objectives.
The COTY Awards showcase the best projects of the area’s top talent in the remodeling industry. From one person shops to the largest remodeling firms, companies have reported that winning this award is a major factor in enhancing their image within the industry and with prospective customers, and is a major morale booster for their employees.
Winners can maximize their achievement and gain a marketing advantage by promoting their accomplishment on their websites and collateral material, to the media, and to former, current, and future clients. Additionally, a listing of the winning projects is recognized in select media publications in the metropolitan area.
View our COTY Entry How To
National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI) Minnesota
Select this link to submit your entries, https://nari.secure-platform.com/a/organizations/MIA/home
Companies from one-person shops to the largest remodeling firms have reported that winning this award is a major factor in enhancing their image within the industry and with prospective customers, and is a major morale booster for their employees. These guidelines will help you understand the categories for entry into the CotY competition, the judging procedure and the criteria on which entries will be reviewed.
Remodeling project entries are judged on the basis of meeting clients’ objectives, functionality, problem solving, aesthetics, craftsmanship, innovation, and degree of difficulty. Entries can be resubmitted if they have never won in any capacity in the Minnesota competition, including Silver, and they still fall within the project completion guidelines for that year.
Whether you are a seasoned participant or a first-time entrant, thoroughly read these easy steps for submitting an entry to the NARI MN Contractor of the Year Awards competition.
The project finish date must be between December 1, 2015, and November 30, 2017.
Important to know for local entrants in 2017:
- Only NARI contractor members in good standing are eligible to enter. Entries must be submitted on or before September 29, 2017. All entrants’ membership records will be checked to verify their classification as a contractor member. Projects can only be from Minnesota or a border state. Therefore, only projects from MN, WI, IA, ND, and SD will be accepted. The fee for the first entry purchased is $150. The fee for additional entries is discounted to $125 per entry. Fees are non-refundable, non-transferable, and cannot be carried over to subsequent years.
- Single Entrant Winner – A single entrant in a category will receive GOLD winner status if entry meets the lowest Gold score that won in the multi-entry categories. If the entry does not meet the Gold, the Silver winner status will be received if the entry meets the lowest Silver score that won in the multi-entry categories.
- A contractor member company may enter multiple projects in multiple categories and may enter a maximum of two projects in the same category. If applicable, a project may be entered in multiple categories.
- If you have a large, multi-area project, and would like to enter just a portion of it, you may break it out and/or enter the entire project. For example, if your project included the remodel of a kitchen, family room, and two baths, you can enter a kitchen category, an interior category, two bathroom categories, and/or a whole house category. For a national entry you will need to choose to enter an entire house or a portion of the house in the kitchen or bathroom category as two examples. You cannot enter whole house and then enter portions of the house in other categories nationally, however it is allowed locally.
This year, local categories will be different from national categories, in that some local categories will now be combined. You will see the combined categories only on this rules page and the NARI MN website. See below for the Minnesota Categories.
· NARI of MN does not offer a team option. Please follow the National Team Member process for your local entry if you are planning to roll up any of your local entries to National. Call the NARI National office with questions about team entrants – 847-298-9200.
The “Summary of Project Section” in the online submission is where you can add language for your Master of Ceremonies Script to be read at the CotY Awards Banquet – In the event your project is chosen as a winner, the Master of Ceremonies will read a brief description of your project to the audience. Please provide a description of your project in 100 words or less. Descriptions longer than 100 words may be edited without your approval. You are encouraged to include information about critical staff or business associates that contributed to the success of your project. Please include a pronunciation key for all names, products, and companies mentioned in your MC script. DO NOT ADD THIS LANGUAGE TO YOUR PDF submission.
NARI of MN – Local Categories:
The NARI of MN Chapter/Local awards is using the National platform for 2017 but will combine the following categories in BOLD below.
· Residential Kitchen Under $30,000 and Residential Kitchen $30,000 to $60,000 are combined into one category..
· Please be aware that if you intend to enter the Regional/National competition these two Kitchen Categories will be separate. Please contact the NARI of MN office with any questions – 612-332-6274.
Category 1 (combined):
Residential Kitchen Under $30,000
Residential Kitchen $30,000 to $60,000
Residential Kitchen $60,001 to $100,000
Residential Kitchen $100,001 to $150,000
Residential Kitchen Over $150,000
Residential Bath Under $25,000
Residential Bath $25,001 to $50,000
Residential Bath $50,001 to $75,000
Category 8 (combined):
Residential Bath $75,001 to $100,000
Residential Bath Over $100,000
Category 9 (combined):
Residential Interior Under $75,000
Residential Interior $75,000 to $150,000
Residential Interior Over $150,000
Residential Interior Element under $30,000
Residential Interior Element $30,001 and Over
Category 13 (combined):
Residential Addition Under $100,000
Residential Addition $100,000 to $250,000
Residential Addition Over $250,000
Category 15 (combined):
Residential Exterior Under $100,000
Residential Exterior $100,000 to $200,000
Residential Exterior Over $200,000
Residential Detached Structure
Entire House Under $250,000
Category 19 (combined):
Entire House $250,000 to $500,000
Entire House $500,001 to $750,000
Category 20 (combined):
Entire House $750,001 to $1,000,000
Entire House Over $1,000,000
Residential Historical Renovation/Restoration under $250,000
Residential Historical Renovation/Restoration $250,000 and Over
Category 23 (combined):
Landscape Design/Outdoor Living Under $60,000
Landscape Design/Outdoor Living $60,000 and Over
Category 26 (combined):
Basement Under $50,000
Basement $50,000 to $100,000
Basement Over $100,00
Category 28 (combined):
Sustainable Remodeling Award
Green – Residential Interiors
Green – Residential Exteriors
Green – Entire House/Addition Projects
Category 29 (combined):
Residential Universal Design Award
Universal Design – Kitchen
Universal Design – Bath
Universal Design – Interiors
Universal Design – Exteriors
Universal Design – Entire House
Residential Project under $15,000
Associate of the Year (contact the NARI of MN office to learn more. This is not part of the online submission process).
Achievement in Consumer Excellence Award
The ACE award recognizes companies that provide outstanding customer service in quality, responsiveness, meeting deadlines, professionalism, and communication.
The Achievement in Consumer Excellence is a consumer-rated award program that recognizes NARI MN members who provide exemplary service. Consumers who have worked directly with professionals rate their provider in five areas: quality, responsiveness, meeting deadlines, professionalism, and communication. The ACE Award recognizes those who receive an average score of 4 (out of a possible 5) on these criteria. All members who provide products or services to consumers are eligible. Member companies of all types and sizes can be recognized as ACE Award recipients based on consumer evaluations of their work.
The ACE Award is an achievement earned by providing superior service based on consumer ratings and represents a standard of excellence.